Installing and configuring SSL on your WordPress website is relatively simple and straightforward since most hosting providers do this for you. Even if the hosting does not offer this service, you can easily set it up yourself through Cloudflare.
SSL certificate is now a must-have component for any website. It not only helps secure your site from malicious attacks but also boosts the trustworthiness and credibility of your website. Keep reading this article to learn how to install and configure SSL on your WordPress website.
How to Add SSL on Your WordPress Website
There was a time when it was pretty daunting to install SSL on a website, but now almost all hosting providers offer this service for free. Most hosting providers will install and configure the SSL certificate for you automatically without any effort from you.
Even if your hosting provider does not offer this service, you can easily set it up yourself through Cloudflare. Cloudflare is a CDN service that also offers free SSL certificates for websites.
Adding SSL Through Your WordPress Host Account
Here are the steps to install and configure SSL on your WordPress website using Let’s Encrypt. This is available as an option through most wordpress hosting providers.
- Log into your hosting account.
- Navigate to the SSL certificate section.
- Enable Let’s Encrypt.
- Configure Let’s Encrypt to work with your website.
- Your website will be automatically redirected to a secure HTTPS connection.
- Verify that your SSL certificate is correctly installed and configured using a tool like SSL Labs.
By following these steps, you can secure your WordPress website with a trusted SSL certificate provided by Let’s Encrypt, without having to spend any money. Let’s Encrypt is now a default option on many WordPress hosting platforms, making it easier for users to install and configure SSL on their websites. The padlock icon in your browser’s address bar will indicate that your website is secure, giving your visitors peace of mind when browsing your site.
Use Plugin to Add SSL on Your WordPress Website
If the above step is not an option, you can consider using a plugin to set up SSL on your WordPress website.
Such as, the Really Simple SSL plugin is a top-rated and free plugin that automatically detects your SSL certificate and configures your WordPress website to run over HTTPS. It also handles the HTTPS redirects for you.
To set up the plugin, simply install it from the WordPress dashboard and follow the instructions. It will guide you through the entire process from start to finish.
Add SSL on Your WordPress Website with Cloudflare
Here are the steps you need to follow to set up an SSL certificate on your WordPress website using Cloudflare:
- Sign Up for a Cloudflare Account: Go to the Cloudflare website, and sign up for an account with your email.
- Add Your Website to Cloudflare: After signing in, enter your website address and click “Add site”. Make sure to remove the “HTTP://” before the domain name.
- Choose a Plan: Once you’ve added your website, you’ll need to choose a plan. Just choose the Free plan and press “Continue“. On the next page, Cloudflare will show some information related to the website. Press “Continue” again to move forward.
- Update Nameservers: Cloudflare will now ask you to update your domain’s nameservers. To do this, head over to the registrar where your domain is purchased and change the nameservers (Usually Under Domain Management or DNS option). Ask the registrar’s support if you can’t find the nameservers option.
- Setup the SSL: Now, head back to Cloudflare and select “Done, check nameservers“. Press “Get Started” on the next page under “Quick Start Guide“. Under “Improved security“, turn on “Automatic HTTP Rewrites“. Save the other suggested settings and press “Finish“.
- Update SSL Settings: Now, press the “SSL/TLS” from the menu on the top. Choose the “Edge Certificates” option and turn on “Always use HTTPS“. This setting will ensure that the website is always loaded on HTTPS instead of HTTP.
And that’s it! Now go back to your website and make sure that your website is loading with the SSL certificate. You should see a “padlock icon” next to the URL in the browser address bar.
What is SSL, and How Does it Work?
SSL, short for Secure Sockets Layer, is an encryption protocol used to secure online communication. The main goal of SSL is to ensure that data transmitted between a website and a user’s web browser remains private and secure.
SSL works by creating an encrypted connection between a web server and a user’s web browser. When a user visits a website that uses SSL, the browser first establishes a secure connection with the server. The server then sends a certificate to the browser to verify its identity.
The browser then verifies that the certificate was issued by a trusted certificate authority and that it is still valid. If the certificate is valid, the browser establishes an encrypted connection with the server.
Once the encrypted connection is established, all data transmitted between the browser and the server is encrypted. This means that even if someone intercepts the data, they cannot read it easily. This makes SSL a vital tool for protecting sensitive information online.
Why Do You Need SSL on Your WordPress Website?
Having an SSL certificate installed on your website has many benefits. Some of the most important ones are:
1. User’s Data Privacy: SSL provides a secure connection between your website and the user’s browser, ensuring that all shared data remains confidential. This can be especially important when it comes to websites that require users to input personal information, such as credit card details.
2. Website Security: SSL certificates are issued by trusted third-party organizations known as Certificate Authorities (CA). When a website uses SSL, the certificate is used to verify the identity of the website. This helps to prevent phishing attacks and other forms of fraud, as users can be confident that they are communicating with the website they intended to visit.
3. SEO Benefits: Search engines such as Google give preferential rankings to websites that have an SSL certificate installed, which could help to boost your website’s visibility in search results. This means that having an SSL certificate could help to attract more visitors and potential customers to your website.
4. Legitimacy: An SSL certificate can give your website and business a sense of legitimacy. It provides assurance to your visitors that you take the security and privacy of their data seriously, which in turn can lead to increased trust in your website and brand.
SSL certificates are essential for any website, as they help to protect visitors data and improve the security of a site. We hope this article has helped you understand the importance of SSL and how to add one to your WordPress website using Cloudflare if it’s not provided by your hosting provider.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below!